SYG-1000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 44: Foreign Direct Investment, Deterritorialization, Call Centre

31 views3 pages
School
Department
Course
Globalization
GLOBALIZATION: What is it?
Economic globalization
Internationalization/Liberalizing of World Trade via agreements between countries & regions:
NAFTA, WTO
dismantling barriers to cross-national trade (export-import of goods)
De-territorialization of trade & business corporations
Multinational & Transnational Corporations (MNCs & TNCs)
Global supply chains & Global subcontracting of manufacturing
Iteatioalizatio of fiae apital: Foeig Diet Iestet FDI
Institutions playing a leading role in Econ. Glb.: World Trade Organization (WTO)
International Monetary Fund (IMF) opeig up of eooies & stutual adjustet
(a) dismantling public institutions and public enterprises (depriving people but giving
immense authority to big business)
(b) removing all support and protection for local industries and agriculture by liberalizing
imports
(c) supporting export-oriented activities
(d) withdrawing state responsibility of providing health care and education
(privatization)
(e) raising the prices of fuel, gas and electricity as well as raising the fees for education
and healthcare to create good business opportunities for global companies.
Communication technology revolution
Integration of world markets (but not without hierarchy or inequality)
Different trajectories to Globalization
Different consequences of Globalization
Different trajectories to & consequences of Globalization
U.S.
Meio auiladoas of the 80s
China (powerhouse of global manufacturing)
Taiwan, Philippines (electronics & computer manufacturing)
India (business processing outsourcing: BPO call centers)
Bangladesh (global garment manufacturing)
Sri Lanka (global garment manufacturing)
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Internationalization/liberalizing of world trade via agreements between countries & regions: Nafta, wto dismantling barriers to cross-national trade (export-import of goods) Global supply chains & global subcontracting of manufacturing. I(cid:374)te(cid:396)(cid:374)atio(cid:374)alizatio(cid:374) of fi(cid:374)a(cid:374)(cid:272)e (cid:272)apital: (cid:858)fo(cid:396)eig(cid:374) di(cid:396)e(cid:272)t i(cid:374)(cid:448)est(cid:373)e(cid:374)t(cid:859) (cid:894)fdi(cid:895) Integration of world markets (but not without hierarchy or inequality) Critics & challengers of imf & world bank dominance: http://www. brettonwoodsproject. org/art-558778. Business processing outsourcing (bpo) sector (call center jobs) Financial indu t y: glo(cid:271)alizatio(cid:374) (cid:272)ha(cid:374)gi(cid:374)g the (cid:374)atu(cid:396)e of sto(cid:272)k(cid:271)(cid:396)oke(cid:396)(cid:859)s (cid:449)o(cid:396)k. Financial industry: impact of this changing nature of work. Extending the already long and frenetic work day. Gender (im)balance in occupation domestic lives & caregiving responsibilities. Commission-based firms (commission & fee earning stockbrokers) gender inequality in work. Discount firm model (salaried stockbrokers) gender balance in work & home. Nanny chain: global implications of care deficit in u. s. Global migration chains demand & supply of caring & mothering. Protectionist immigration policy limiting number of foreign workers in us.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers