SYG-1000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 17: Vivendi, Modus Vivendi

24 views2 pages
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Further there is usually a kind of division of definitional labor. Each participant is allowed to establish the tentative official ruling regarding matters which are vital to him but not immediately important to others, e. g. the rationalizations and justifications by which he accounts for his past activity. In exchange for this courtesy he remains silent or non-committal on matters important to others, but not immediately important to him. ****this is (cid:862)i(cid:374)teractio(cid:374)al (cid:373)odus (cid:448)i(cid:448)e(cid:374)di(cid:863), or the i(cid:374)teractio(cid:374)al (cid:449)ay of life. Together, the participants contribute to a single overall definition of the situation which involves not so much a real agreement but an agreement as to whose claims concerning what issues will be temporarily honored. Real agreement may exist concerning the desirability of avoiding an open conflict of definitions of the situation. Any projected definition of a situation has a distinctive moral character.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers