Lecture 5

NSCI 1413 Lecture 5: Photosynthesis

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Fordham University
Natural Science
NSCI 1413
Guy Robinson

Equation: 6CO​2​ 12H​2​ + Light → C6​H12​6​+ 62​ O + 62​ ● Two main processes: ○ Light-Dependent Reactions:​ Use light energy to produce the ATP that powers LIR ○ Light-Independent Reactions:​ Calvin Cycle ○ **Light must be present for both processes to occur** Photosynthetic Pigments ● Absorb light energy of varying wavelengths to perform photosynthesis ● Two main groups: ▢​​Antenna Pigments:​ Absorb photons and pass to chlorophyll α ▪​ Chlorophyll ​β​:​ Green; absorb all wavelengths of light in red, blue, and violet range ▪ ​Cartenoids:​ Yellow, orange, and red; absorb in blue, green, and violet range ▴ ​Xanthophyll:​ Cartenoid with slight chemical variation ▪ ​Phycobilins:​ Reddish; absorb light in blue and green range ▢ Chlorophyll α:​ Take photons from antenna pigments to directly participate in light rxns; contains double bonds that provide electrons to flow through ETC during photosynthesis Chloroplast ● Grana:​ Location of light reactions; layers of membranes (thylakoids) are site of photosystems I and II ● Stroma:​ Location of light-independent reactions ● Enclosed within double membrane Photosystems ● Hundreds of light-harvesting complexes in thylakoid membranes ● Each contains a rxn center with chlorophyll α and a region with hundreds of antenna pigments that fuel chlorophyll α ● Photosystem II (P680) → Photosystem I (P700) Light-Dependent Reactions ● Light is absorbed and transferred through photosystems via ETCs with two routes ● Noncyclic Photophosphorylation:​ electrons enter 2 ETCs, forming ATP and NADH beginning with PII ○ Photosystem II (P680):​ Electrons from doubles bonds in chlorophyll α head are energized and moved to a higher energy level and captured by a ​primary electron acceptor (PEA) +​ -​ ○ Photolysis:​ Water is split, providing 2 electrons (lost to chlorophyll α in PII). 2 H​ , and 1 O​ ; oxygen released as waste ○ Electron Transport Chain:​ PII electrons pass along ETC via plastoquinone​ (2 cytochromes + proteins), ending in PI; 1 exergonic electron flow provides energy for chemiosmosis ○ Chemiosmosis:​ ATP formed via diffusion of protons through ATP synthase after being forced into stroma; energy produced is used in the Calvin Cycle ○ NADP:​ Becomes reduced after gaining 2 H​ from PII; carries H​ to Calvin Cycle to make sugar ○ Photosystem I (P700)​: Energy is absorbed; e​ s from chlorophyll α head are energized and captured by PEA (similar -​ -​
More Less

Related notes for NSCI 1413

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.