ANTH 120 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: John R. Rickford, Linguistic Description, English Plurals
33 views4 pages
Anth. 120 Week Ten Lecture Notes
● Conducting successful interviews:
○ If use StoryCorp app download and practice ahead of time
○ Practice using recording app on phone
○ Prepare to get photos from your interviewee, need a picture of the two of you
(screenshot of skype) to turn in
○ Talk to interviewee about mementos
○ Print a clean copy of your questions in big legible font with a pen on hand
○ Check your recording equipment
○ Eliminate bothersome noises like clocks, dishwasher, tv, street noise etc.
○ Review information, confirm informed consent
■ Remind the interviewee what the interview is for
■ Explain how you will handle the recording
■ Get the interviewee’s consent
○ Ask permission before turning on the recorder
○ At the beginning of recording state date, time, place, name of your interviewee,
○ Don’t worry about taking notes, at most jot down a word or phrase for follow up
○ Show your interest and maintain eye contact
○ Give the interviewee time to finish a response before you ask another question
○ Ask follow up probe questions to elicit more detailed information
■ Silent probe (allow for a gap to open up before asking another question)
■ Echo probe (reflect back to the person something about what they just
■ Uhuh/okay probe (remaining neutral showing interest)
■ Can you tell me more about that?
■ Could you give me an example?
■ Why is that the case?
■ What makes you think so?
● Language, Race, and Ethnicity: Key terms (to be found in Ahern reading)
○ Habitual ‘be’