SUNY Geneseo
Department
Music
Course Code
MUSC 226
Professor
James Kimball
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Notre Dame Polyphany
Rhythmic Modes A system of six patterns, mixing long notes and breves (short notes).
The resulting rhythms always used a triple division of the basic beat creating rhythm
analogous to our modern compound meters. The specific rhythm modes were notated through
the use of distinctive ligature patterns.
Leonin Composer and compiler or Magnus liber organi. Includes music in organum
and discant styles.
Organum style Used where the original chant sets the text in syllabic style.
Discant style Used where the original chant sets the text in melismatic style.
Clausula Term for a distinct, self-contained section of an organum, generally in a
discant style. Individual clausulae were often rewritten or replaced by later composers, the
new settings being turned into substitute clasulae.
Motet A new genre developed within the Notre Dame tradition in the early 13th
century. First created by adding a newly written Latin text to the upper voice of a discant
clausula. Later motets commonly used two upper parts, sometimes three, each with its own
text and texts were often written in French. The slower moving part (tenor) was usually taken
from a section of chant. This lower part, based on an existing melody, may also be called
cantus firmus.
Franconian Notation A new system of rhythmic notation codified by Franco of Cologne
in which duratinos were signified by note shapes.
Ars Nova (The New Art) Term used in treatise from 1322-1333, which embraced the
use of new musical ideas, especially more variety in rhythmic notation.
Guillaume de Mauchaut The leading composer of the era, also celebrated for his
poetry. Wrote 23 motets, notable for their use of isorhythmic techniques. Also composed 41
ballades and the “Masse de Notre Dame”.
The Ars Subtilior (“The More Subtle manner”) Sometimes referred to as the late 14th
century French Avant-guard. Intended for an elite audience, including the papal court in
Avignon, this tradition included a great deal of music experimentation, complex rhythms, and
fanciful or ingenious notational details.
Trecento Music Italian music that was created in the 14th century.
Polyphonic Secular song forms:
Madrigal Idyllic, pastoral, satirical, or love poems set for two voices; may include brief
passages of imitation or hocket technique.
Caccia For two voices in canan, accompanied by a lower instrumental line. Usually on
vivid themes such as the hunt, a battle, a fire, etc. which allows imitative vocal effects.
Ballata Derived from an early monophonic dance song tradition.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
find more resources at oneclass.com Notre Dame Polyphany Rhythmic Modes – A system of six patterns, mixing long notes and breves (short notes). The resulting rhythms always used a triple division of the basic beat – creating rhythm analogous to our modern compound meters. The specific rhythm modes were notated through the use of distinctive ligature patterns. Leonin – Composer and compiler or Magnus liber organi. Includes music in organum and discant styles. Organum style – Used where the original chant sets the text in syllabic style. Discant style – Used where the original chant sets the text in melismatic style. Clausula – Term for a distinct, self-contained section of an organum, generally in a discant style. Individual clausulae were often rewritten or replaced by later composers, the new settings being turned into substitute clasulae. Motet – A new genre developed within the Notre Dame tradition in the early 13 th century. First created by adding a newly written Latin text to the upper voice of a discant clausula. Later motets commonly used two upper parts, sometimes three, each with its own text and texts were often written in French. The slower moving part (tenor) was usually taken from a section of chant. This lower part, based on an existing melody, may also be called cantus firmus. Franconian Notation – A new system of rhythmic notation codified by Franco of Cologne in which duratinos were signified by note shapes. Ars Nova (The New Art)
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit