Economics
Course
ECON 2106
Professor
Kakeu
Semester
Spring

Description
Scarcity - The market has two sides: Consumer (demand) and Producer (supply) - Each side has agents who face scarcity - Consumer o People (consumers) with needs, wants, and desires o Multiple consumers from C1, C2…Cn o Objective: maximize utility - Producer o Firms (producers) whose goal it is to satisfy the needs wants and desires of the consumers o Number of firms depends on the type of market o Objective: maximize profits - Limitations o Consumer  Time  Money o Producer  Costs of production - Common Ground o Scarcity  Both the producer and the consumer will choose to minimize costs and maximize profits/utility I. Principles of Decision Making a. Individual Choice: the decision by an individual of what to do (and what not to do) b. Basic Principles i. Resources are scarce ii. Opportunity Cost: The cost of something is what you give up to get it iii. Marginal Decision Making: How Much? iv. People usually take advantage of opportunities to make themselves better off – decisions at the margin v. Decisions at the Margin: a decision based on the consumption/production of one more good – how much more will I benefit and is it worth it? c. Principle 1 – Choices are Necessary because of Scarcity i. Resource: land, labor, capital, entrepreneurship ii. All resources are scarce d. Principle 2 – The true cost of an item is its Opportunity Cost i. What is given up – the trade-off that is made to attain a product or result e. Principle 3 - Marginal Analysis i. Comparing costs and benefits of a little more versus a little less f.
More Less

Related notes for ECON 2106

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit