- 65%-85%need to be enriched to create a bomb
o Speech at UN titled “Atoms for Peace”
- Creation of IAEA and signing of non-proliferation treaty creates a world of “haves” and “have-
- Nuclear weapons acquisition
o Requires advanced technological infrastructure
o Nuclear weapons are also the WMD, the standard by which all other weapons are
- Why do states choose to pursue a weapon?
o Mixture of intent and means to do so
o The debate in IR: how do we predict nuclear proliferators
What is the infrastructure like?
o Who makes the decision?
o Theoretical lenses?
Realism: nuclear weapons are pursued as a means to gain power
Liberalism: nuclear weapons incite cooperation to prevent war
- Will nuclear deterrence maintain stability in the post-Cold War era?
o Kenneth Waltz – Scott Sagan Debate
Waltz: nuclear prevention will work in the post-CW era just as it did during the
CW, even as new countries gain nuclear weapons. Horizontal proliferation has
been slow and steady and it will give countries time to stabilize.