MUSI 102 Lecture 9: Lecture 9

5 Pages

Department
Music
Course Code
MUSI 102
Professor
delaney

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Lecture 9 - 10/13/16
Chapter 6 (Continued)
Swing band
o Saxophone
o Trombone
o Trumpets
o Piano
o Drum sets
o Guitar
o String bass
The band leaders were like celebrities
Typical sounds of a swing band
o Call and response
o Walking bassline
o Blue notes - b7
o Solo and tutti sections
o Was not improve!
o Democratic in spirit but regimented in performance
o IT IS PLAYED THE SAME WAY EVERY TIME
o It is very clear who solo is where and what parts will be played when
o There is also choreography
Glen Miller
o Trombone player
o Started his own band in 1937
o His popularity was boosted by live radio broadcasts
o He developed a cleaner, smoother style
o Orchestral
o A lot more strings are being used
o This appealed to small town and big city
o Relied heavily on Tin Pan Alley arrangements
o 23 number one recordings in under 4 years
o Signature tune "In The Mood"
William Count Basie
o Blues traditions
o Band leader in Kansas City
o Created by improve that then became regimented in performances
o During jam sessions, they were improved
o His music was riff based
Repeating patterns
o Steady left hand on the piano
o Extreme independence on the hands of the piano
o One O'clock Jump
From a film
find more resources at oneclass.com
Duke Ellington
o 1899 - 1974
o Formal training
o He had a lot of different tone colors and timbres
o He mixed unique ideas with formal training
o Experimenting with his band sound
o "Take the A Train"
o It had a singer!! And the band sang along
o Females found their way into swing music by singing
o Paying tribute to where the music came from
o Bands didn’t alays hae funds to trael
ASCAP: American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers
90% of songs from TPA were licensed through this ^^
They are going to ask for more money
The demanded a larger portion of the revenues
The radio networks created BMI
It was not intended for a long life, but it still exists now
Basically, they signed anyone who was not associated with Tin Pan Alley
Arrangers had to create arrangements of classical pieces since ASCAP wouldn't let them
broadcast their songs
They went on strike to make sure their performers got paid the right way
For more than a year, no major record company made any instrumental recordings
They did all vocals with choir
Big bands couldn’t keep up, so they split up
The industry that built them up destroyed them
Country Music
o Hillbilly performers actually were growing
o Southerners migrated from the south to look for work
o Hillbilly Music is now known as Country and Western Music
o It spread from the south because of radio exposer
o After World War II, there were over 600 country radio shows
o There were other factors as well
Formation of BMI game opportunities for song writers to publish and receive royalties
Capital records had huge rosters of hillbilly
Indies - Independent record labels
o Country music became a third of music produced
o The armed forces created victory discs that would just be focused on hillbilly music
o 1920s themes were sentimentally, morality, patriotism
Roy Acuff
o GI's preferred him to Sinatra
o Formed a group called Crazy Tennesseans
o Then he joined the grand Ole Opry
o A new look for the singing cowboy
o It goes through a little polish
o Making the style look better to go along with changing music

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lecture 9 - 10/13/16 Chapter 6 (Continued) • Swing band o Saxophone o Trombone o Trumpets o Piano o Drum sets o Guitar o String bass • The band leaders were like celebrities • Typical sounds of a swing band o Call and response o Walking bassline o Blue notes - b7 o Solo and tutti sections o Was not improve! o Democratic in spirit but regimented in performance o IT IS PLAYED THE SAME WAY EVERY TIME o It is very clear who solo is where and what parts will be played when o There is also choreography • Glen Miller o Trombone player o Started his own band in 1937 o His popularity was boosted by live radio broadcasts o He developed a cleaner, smoother style o Orchestral o A lot more strings are being used o This appealed to small town and big city o Relied heavily on Tin Pan Alley arrangements o 23 number one recordings in under 4 years o Signature tune "In The Mood" • William Count Basie o Blues traditions o Band leader in Kansas City o Created by improve that then became regimented in performances o During jam sessions, they were improved o His music was riff based • Repeating patterns o Steady left hand on the piano o Extreme independence on the hands of the piano o One O'clock Jump • From a film• Duke Ellington o 1899 - 1974 o Formal training o He had a lot of different tone colors and timbres o He mixed unique ideas with formal training o Experimenting with his band sound o "Take the A Train" o It had a singer!! And the band sang along o Females found their way into swing music by singing o Paying tribute to where the music came from o Bands didn’t always have funds to travel • ASCAP: American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers • 90% of songs from TPA were licensed through this ^^ • They are going to ask for more money • The demanded a larger portion of the revenues • The radio networks created BMI • It was not intended for a long life, but it still exists now • Basically, they signed anyone who was not associated with Tin Pan Alley • Arrangers had to create arrangements of classical pieces since ASCAP wouldn't let them broadcast their songs • They went on strike to make sure their performers got paid the right way • For more than a year, no major record company made any instrumental recordings • They did all vocals with choir • Big bands couldn’t keep up, so they split up • The industry that built them up destroyed them • Country Music o Hillbilly performers actually were growing o Southerners migrated from the south to look for work o Hillbilly Music is now known as Country and Western Music o It spread from the south because of radio exposer o After World War II, there were over 600 country radio shows o There were other factors as well • Formation of BMI game opportunities for song writers to publish and receive royalties • Capital records had huge rosters of hillbilly • Indies - Independent record labels o Country music became a third of music produced o The armed forces created victory discs that would just be focused on hillbilly music o 1920s themes were sentimentally, morality, patriotism • Roy Acuff o GI's preferred him to Sinatra o Formed a group called Crazy Tennesseans o Then he joined the grand Ole Opry o A new look for the singing cowboy o It goes through a little polish o Making the style look better to go along with changing music o Cowboy image was western and symbolized independence o He owned his own record company o It was called Acuff Rose o Taking advantage of the time where Indies are growing • Gene Autry o Developed a new kind of crooning, more int
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit