BMS 212 Lecture 6: Unit 1, Section 6- Survey of Eukaryotes

8 Pages

Department
Biomedical Sciences
Course Code
BMS 212
Professor
Aaron Baxter

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 8 pages of the document.
Survey of Eukaryotes (Fungi, Protozoa and Algae)
I. Fungi
- Cell wall made of chitin
- Not photosynthetic no chloroplasts
- Environmentally diverse can live in harsh conditions in terms of pH, oxygen
concentrations, salinity, moisture, etc.
- Significant in nutrient recycling, symbiotic relationships, food/drug production
Structure of fungi
Two main types
a. Molds and Fleshy Fungi
- Seldom individual cells
Hyphae: the body of the structure, composed of long, branched,
tubular filaments
- Two classes of hyphae
Septate: divided into separate cells by crosswalls called
septa
Coenocytic: cells are not divided by septa
- Two types of hypha
Vegetative hypha: obtain nutrients in the ground
Reproductive or aerial hypha: reproductive structures above
ground
Mycelium: The overall structure, composed of intertwined hyphae
forming a tangled mass
b. Yeasts
- Non-filamentous
- Generally unicellular
- Oval or spherical
- Two types of yeasts
Fission yeasts: crosswall forms in the center of the cell for
equal division
Budding yeasts: cells unequally proportioned
Pseudohypha
- Forms when buds fail to detach
find more resources at oneclass.com
- Appears filamentous
*pseudohypha are environmentally dependent in
the environment they tend to stay unicellular, in the
host they become pseudohyphic to help push deeper
into the tissues
Dimorphic fungi
- Shift between unicellular and filamentous forms
Nutrition
heterotrophic gain their nutrients from organic substrates
saprobes feed off of dead organisms
parasites feed off of live hosts
- Cause mycosis (fungal disease)
- Form haustoria to penetrate tissues and withdraw nutrients
*haustoria: like a straw, degrades the tissue and sucks it up*
Reproduction
- Fungi most often reproduce using spores.
- All fungi undergo asexual reproduction, and it is believed that all are capable
of sexual reproduction as well.
Two types of spore formation
a. Asexual spore formation
- three subtypes of asexual spores
- Sporangiospores
- A membrane sac called a sporangium forms and fills with
spores
- This forms on a stalk called the sporangiophore, at either the
tips or off the sides of the hyphae
- Conidiospores (conidia)
- These are the most common
- Spores are produced at the tips or off the sides of the hyphae,
but not in a sac
- Some form chains called conidiophores, some form a spore-
bearing projection called a sterigma
- Chlamydospores
- Spore forms within the hypha
- Once it has matured, the hypha breaks and releases the spore
cell
b. Sexual spore formation
1. Two haploid cells (known as + and -, not male and female) fuse and
form a dikaryon (two nuclei)
2. The nuclei fuse, the cell is now considered diploid
3. Meiosis restores the haploid state
4. Spore partition, maturation, and release occurs
- Three common types of sexual spores
- zygospores (zygosporangium)
- The gametes form at the tips of the hypha
- They come into contact and fuse into the dikaryon
- This forms the zygosporangium, which produces a haploid
sporangium that fills with spores
- The spores are released
- ascospores
- Hyphal tips fuse
- Dikaryons form and remain in this state for some time
- They become diploid when the nuclei fuse and then form
haploid cells
- Haploid cells line the ascus (pl. asci, these are just sacs that
hold spores) of the fruiting body, these may undergo
mitosis and cytokinesis to form 8 ascospores
- The asci open and release the ascospores
- basidiospores
- The + and fuse in the soil
- Replication and growth occurs, producing a basidiocarp
(mushrooms)
- In the gills of the mushroom the haploid cells become
diploid
- Meiosis occurs and results in four haploid nuclei that form
four basidiospores
*This is as far as we got in lecture, Professor Baxter cut out the
rest of these notes I filled out the rest from the book*
Lichens
- A symbiotic relationship between fungi and photosynthetic microorganisms
(usually cyanobacteria, but sometimes green algae)
- The hyphae of the fungus surround the photosynthetic organisms and give them
nutrients, water, and protection

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Survey of Eukaryotes (Fungi, Protozoa and Algae) I. Fungi - Cell wall made of chitin - Not photosynthetic – no chloroplasts - Environmentally diverse – can live in harsh conditions in terms of pH, oxygen concentrations, salinity, moisture, etc. - Significant in nutrient recycling, symbiotic relationships, food/drug production Structure of fungi Two main types a. Molds and Fleshy Fungi - Seldom individual cells Hyphae: the body of the structure, composed of long, branched, tubular filaments - Two classes of hyphae Septate: divided into separate cells by crosswalls called septa Coenocytic: cells are not divided by septa - Two types of hypha Vegetative hypha: obtain nutrients in the ground Reproductive or aerial hypha: reproductive structures above ground Mycelium: The overall structure, composed of intertwined hyphae forming a tangled mass b. Yeasts - Non-filamentous - Generally unicellular - Oval or spherical - Two types of yeasts Fission yeasts: crosswall forms in the center of the cell for equal division Budding yeasts: cells unequally proportioned Pseudohypha - Forms when buds fail to detach - Appears filamentous *pseudohypha are environmentally dependent – in the environment they tend to stay unicellular, in the host they become pseudohyphic to help push deeper into the tissues Dimorphic fungi - Shift between unicellular and filamentous forms Nutrition heterotrophic – gain their nutrients from organic substrates saprobes – feed off of dead organisms parasites – feed off of live hosts - Cause mycosis (fungal disease) - Form haustoria to penetrate tissues and withdraw nutrients *haustoria: like a straw, degrades the tissue and sucks it up* Reproduction - Fungi most often reproduce using spores. - All fungi undergo asexual reproduction, and it is believed that all are capable of sexual reproduction as well. Two types of spore formation a. Asexual spore formation - three subtypes of asexual spores - Sporangiospores - A membrane sac called a sporangium forms and fills with spores - This forms on a stalk called the sporangiophore, at either the tips or off the sides of the hyphae - Conidiospores (conidia) - These are the most common - Spores are produced at the tips or off the sides of the hyphae, but not in a sac - Some form chains called conidiophores, some form a spore- bearing projection called a sterigma - Chlamydospores - Spore forms within the hypha - Once it has matured, the hypha breaks and releases the spore cell b. Sexual spore formation 1. Two haploid cells (known as + and -, not male and female) fuse and form a dikaryon (two nuclei) 2. The nuclei fuse, the cell is now considered diploid 3. Meiosis restores the haploid state 4. Spore partition, maturation, and release occurs - Three common types of sexual spores - zygospores (zygosporangium) - The gametes form at the tips of the hypha - They come into contact and fuse into the dikaryon - This forms the zygosporangium, which produces a haploid sporangium that fills with spores - The spores are released - ascospores - Hyphal tips fuse - Dikaryons form and remain in this state for some time - They become diploid when the nuclei fuse and then form haploid cells - Haploid cells line the ascus (pl. asci, these are just sacs that hold spores) of the fruiting body, these may undergo mitosis and cytokinesis to form 8 ascospores - The asci open and release the ascospores - basidiospores - The + and – fuse in the soil - Replication and growth occurs, producing a basidiocarp (mushrooms) - In the gills of the mushroom the haploid cells become diploid - Meiosis occurs and results in four haploid nuclei that form four basidiospores *This is as far as we got in lecture, Professor Baxter cut out the rest of these notes – I filled out the rest from the book* Lichens - A symbiotic relationship between fungi and photosynthetic microorganisms (usually cyanobacteria, but sometimes green algae) - The hyphae of the fungus surround the photosynthetic organisms and give them nutrients, water, and protection - The photosynthetic organisms gives the fungus some of the products of their photosynthetic reactions (carbohydrates and oxygen) - Not all of these are beneficial to both organisms - The fungi reproduce by spores that must find their own organism to grow around - Sometimes wind, rain, or animals carry pieces of lichen (soredia) to new locations where they are able to grow if the environment is right Fruticose: either erect or hanging cylinders Crustose: grow pressed against their substrates and may even extend into the substrate several millimeters Foliose: leaflike, margins grow free from the substrate Uses: - Create soil from worn rocks - Provide a lot of nitrogen to the environment (if they contain nitrogen-fixing
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit