Class Notes (976,762)
US (383,975)
GVSU (456)
BMS (68)
BMS 212 (8)
Lecture 7

BMS 212 Lecture 7: Unit 1, Section 7- Viral Structure, Classification, and Growth of Viruses

3 Pages
Fall 2016

Department
Biomedical Sciences
Course Code
BMS 212
Professor
Aaron Baxter
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Viral Structure, Classification and Growth of Viruses
Historical contributors:
1. Charles Chamberland- advanced the ability to create sterile items and developed bacterial
filters and autoclaves
2. Beijerinck and Ivanowski- Used Chamberlands bacterial filters to establish the existence
of the Tobacco Mosaic Virus the virus fell through the filter
- Called these entities Contagium Vivum Fluidium
- Integral in the establishment of virology
I. Viruses vs. Life
Criteria for life:
1. Growth- the ability to increase in size
2. Reproduction- the ability to increase in number
3. Responsiveness- change in internal/external properties in response to the environment
4. Metabolism- taking in nutrients, reactions to create energy that’s stimulate growth
*Viruses do not meet criteria 1 or 4, so they are defined as “particles”*
II. Structure
A. Size
B. Structures in viruses
1. 3 general classifications of viruses
1. Icosahedron
2. Helical
3. Complex
and
1. Naked
2. Enveloped
2. Common structure to all viruses
a. Central core
- Nucleic acid:
o DNA or RNA
o Single or double stranded
o Circular or linear
o Segmented or non-segmented
- Small number of genes
o i.e. humans have 30,000, hepatitis B has 4
- Function is very directed: replication of outer material and genetic
material, regulation of the host, and packaging
i. some viruses also carry a few very specific enzymes
a. Polymerases: synthesize viral specific DNA or RNA
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Viral Structure, Classification and Growth of Viruses Historical contributors: 1. Charles Chamberland- advanced the ability to create sterile items and developed bacterial filters and autoclaves 2. Beijerinck and Ivanowski- Used Chamberlands bacterial filters to establish the existence of the Tobacco Mosaic Virus – the virus fell through the filter - Called these entities Contagium Vivum Fluidium - Integral in the establishment of virology I. Viruses vs. Life Criteria for life: 1. Growth- the ability to increase in size 2. Reproduction- the ability to increase in number 3. Responsiveness- change in internal/external properties in response to the environment 4. Metabolism- taking in nutrients, reactions to create energy that’s stimulate growth *Viruses do not meet criteria 1 or 4, so they are defined as “particles”* II. Structure A. Size B. Structures in viruses 1. 3 general classifications of viruses 1. Icosahedron 2. Helical 3. Complex and 1. Naked 2. Enveloped 2. Common structure to all viruses a. Central core - Nucleic acid: o DNA or RNA o Single or double stranded o Circular or linear o Segmented or non-segmented - Small number of genes o i.e. humans have 30,000, hepatitis B has 4 - Function is very directed: replication of outer material and genetic material, regulation of the host, and packaging i. some viruses also carry a few very specific enzymes a. Polymerases: synthesize viral specific DNA or RNA b. Replicases: copy RNA c. Reverse transcriptase: convert RNA to DNA ii. other enzymes a. Outer Covering 1. Capsid i. nucleocapsid: the nucleic acid and capsid collectively ii. c
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit