BMS 212 Lecture 5: Unit 1, Section 5- Eukaryotic Cell Structure

6 Pages

Department
Biomedical Sciences
Course Code
BMS 212
Professor
Aaron Baxter

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Eukaryotic Cell Structure
I. External Eukaryotic Structures
A. Glycocalyx
a. Structure
- Usually more like a slime layer
- Anchored to the cell membrane
- Not present in eukaryotes that have cell walls
b. Functions
- Protection
- Water retention
- Adherence
- Cell-to-cell recognition
- Communication
- Strengthens cell surfaces
B. Cell Wall
a. General
- Located in fungi, algae, and a few protozoa
- Functions in strength and maintaining the cell shape
b. Structure
- Contains cellulose, pectin, chitin, mannans, and minerals
- Which structural components are present and concentrations of them
depend on the organism
C. Cell membrane
a. Structure
- Sterols (i.e. cholesterol) strengthen the membrane but maintain fluidity
- Membrane rafts localize functions
b. Function
- Protein sorting
- Signaling
- Movement
- Exocytosis and endocytosis
- *No group translocation*
find more resources at oneclass.com
II. Internal membrane bound structures
A. Flagella and Cilia
a. Structure
- Membrane bound
- Microtubules in a 9+2 arrangement
run the length
- Dynein arms interconnect the
microtubules
- Basal body (kinetosome) has a 9+0
arrangement
*9+2 is 9 pairs of microtubules
surrounding a pair in the middle*
*9+0 is 9 trios of microtubules with
nothing at their center*
b. Movement
- Whip-like motion
- Some push and pull
- No runs and tumbles
c. Differences
i. Flagella
- Located on the poles of the cells
- Long and flexible
ii. Cilia
- Located all over the cell surface
- Shorter and stiffer
- *located on protozoa and animal cells, not on prokaryotes*
B. Nucleus
a. Structure
i. Surface
1. Nuclear envelope
- Two phospholipid bilayers
- Permeated by nuclear pores
- Outer membrane is continuous with the endoplasmic reticulum
2. Nuclear pores
- Go through the nuclear membrane
- Protein-lined channels
- Control the import and export of materials between the nucleus
and the rest of the cell

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Eukaryotic Cell Structure I. External Eukaryotic Structures A. Glycocalyx a. Structure - Usually more like a slime layer - Anchored to the cell membrane - Not present in eukaryotes that have cell walls b. Functions - Protection - Water retention - Adherence - Cell-to-cell recognition - Communication - Strengthens cell surfaces B. Cell Wall a. General - Located in fungi, algae, and a few protozoa - Functions in strength and maintaining the cell shape b. Structure - Contains cellulose, pectin, chitin, mannans, and minerals - Which structural components are present and concentrations of them depend on the organism C. Cell membrane a. Structure - Sterols (i.e. cholesterol) strengthen the membrane but maintain fluidity - Membrane rafts localize functions b. Function - Protein sorting - Signaling - Movement - Exocytosis and endocytosis - *No group translocation* II. Internal membrane bound structures A. Flagella and Cilia a. Structure - Membrane bound - Microtubules in a 9+2 arrangement run the length - Dynein arms interconnect the microtubules - Basal body (kinetosome) has a 9+0 arrangement *9+2 is 9 pairs of microtubules surrounding a pair in the middle* *9+0 is 9 trios of microtubules with nothing at their center* b. Movement - Whip-like motion - Some push and pull - No runs and tumbles c. Differences c.i. Flagella - Located on the poles of the cells - Long and flexible c.ii. Cilia - Located all over the cell surface - Shorter and stiffer - *located on protozoa and animal cells, not on prokaryotes* B. Nucleus a. Structure a.i. Surface a.i.1. Nuclear envelope - Two phospholipid bilayers - Permeated by nuclear pores - Outer membrane is continuous with the endoplasmic reticulum a.i.2. Nuclear pores - Go through the nuclear membrane - Protein-lined channels - Control the import and export of materials between the nucleus and the rest of the cell a.ii. Interior a.ii.1. Nucleoplasm - Semi-liquid matrix - Like cytoplasm - Contains nuclei and chromatin a.ii.2. Nucleolus - Location of rRNA synthesis - High transcription rate a.ii.3. Chromatin - Composed of DNA, histone, and nonhistone proteins a.ii.3.a. Heterochromatin - Very condensed DNA - Low transcription rate a.ii.3.b. Euchromatin - Loosely packed DNA - High transcription rate a.ii.3.c. Replication/Structural differences from prokaryotes - Introns: long sections of chromatin that aren’t translated - Exons: sections of chromatin that are translated a.ii.3.c.i. Haploid - Single copy of the chromosomes a.ii.3.c.ii. Diploid - Two copies of the chromosomes a.ii.3.c.iii. Replication a.ii.3.c.iii.1. Mitosis - Asexual reproduction - Identical daughter cells a.ii.3.c.iii.2. Meiosis - Sexual reproduction - Daughter cells are different from parent cells C. Endoplasmic Reticulum (ER) a. Two forms a.i. Smooth ER
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit