BMS 212 Lecture 8: Unit 1, Section 8- Viral Replication and Prions

5 Pages

Department
Biomedical Sciences
Course Code
BMS 212
Professor
Aaron Baxter

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Viral Replication and Prions
Viral Replication
- Always requires a host cell viruses are obligate intracellular parasites and
they control the hosts
- This control over the host tells us:
o Pathogenicity
o Transmission
o Level of immune response
- How they replicate could indicate how we could control the infection
Steps in viral multiplication (T-even phage; lytic cycle)
1. Adsorption
- Attachment
- Brought about by random collisions
- High specificity
o Flagella
o Pili
o Fimbriae
o Cell wall
o Receptors
o Cell membrane
2. Penetration
- Lysozyme dissolves a hole in the cell wall
- The virus plunges its tail through the layers (like a hypodermic needle)
- The DNA is injected
3. Replication
- The entry hole is sealed to re-stabilize the cell wall
- Nucleic acids of the viral genome are copied
- The virus shuts down all host cell gene expression
- Direct synthesis of proteins for the next capsid begins
- In the late stage large volumes of lysozyme are produced
4. Maturation and Assembly
- Parts of the new viruses self-assemble into mature viruses as they
become available
Transduction
- Host DNA is put into the viral heads rather than the viral
DNA
- This will result in no infection in the next host, but it can
cause evolutionary change (i.e. antibiotic resistance)
find more resources at oneclass.com
5. Release
- Lysozyme causes the cell to lyse
- The new bacteriophages are released to find a new host
Lysogenic or Temperate Phage (Lambda phage)
- Steps 1 and 2 are the same as in the lytic phage
- In the third step, replication does not occur, the host cell is not shut down. Instead,
the viral DNA is integrated into the host genome.
- As the host continues to replicate itself, it is passing on the virus
Prophage: the host cell after the viral DNA has been integrated into the host DNA
Lysogenic conversion: the addition of new DNA results in a change in the
phenotype of the cell
Induction
- When the host cell is dying, it identifies the foreign viral DNA and cuts it
out of the sequence
- This triggers the virus to take over
- The lytic cycle begins: the virus shuts down the host cells and tries to
replicate as quickly as possible before the cell lyses
Steps in replication of animal viruses
1. Adsorption
- Specific interaction with the peplomers allows for attachment
*host range: what hosts can be recognized by the virus (i.e. rabies is able
to target any mammal)*
2. Penetration
- once inside, uncoating occurs: the breaking down of the capsid to
release the genome
3 mechanisms for penetration
Direct penetration
- Done by some naked viruses
- Most rare method
- Virus attacks, punctures cell, and inserts the genome
i.e. poliovirus
Endocytosis
- Done by most enveloped viruses and some naked
viruses
- Virus attaches to receptor molecules on the cell
- Cell is stimulated to endocytize the entire virus
Herpesvirus

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Viral Replication and Prions Viral Replication - Always requires a host cell – viruses are obligate intracellular parasites and they control the hosts - This control over the host tells us: o Pathogenicity o Transmission o Level of immune response - How they replicate could indicate how we could control the infection Steps in viral multiplication (T-even phage; lytic cycle) 1. Adsorption - Attachment - Brought about by random collisions - High specificity o Flagella o Pili o Fimbriae o Cell wall o Receptors o Cell membrane 2. Penetration - Lysozyme dissolves a hole in the cell wall - The virus plunges its tail through the layers (like a hypodermic needle) - The DNA is injected 3. Replication - The entry hole is sealed to re-stabilize the cell wall - Nucleic acids of the viral genome are copied - The virus shuts down all host cell gene expression - Direct synthesis of proteins for the next capsid begins - In the late stage large volumes of lysozyme are produced 4. Maturation and Assembly - Parts of the new viruses self-assemble into mature viruses as they become available Transduction - Host DNA is put into the viral heads rather than the viral DNA - This will result in no infection in the next host, but it can cause evolutionary change (i.e. antibiotic resistance) 5. Release - Lysozyme causes the cell to lyse - The new bacteriophages are released to find a new host Lysogenic or Temperate Phage (Lambda phage) - Steps 1 and 2 are the same as in the lytic phage - In the third step, replication does not occur, the host cell is not shut down. Instead, the viral DNA is integrated into the host genome. - As the host continues to replicate itself, it is passing on the virus Prophage: the host cell after the viral DNA has been integrated into the host DNA Lysogenic conversion: the addition of new DNA results in a change in the phenotype of the cell Induction - When the host cell is dying, it identifies the foreign viral DNA and cuts it out of the sequence - This triggers the virus to take over - The lytic cycle begins: the virus shuts down the host cells and tries to replicate as quickly as possible before the cell lyses Steps in replication of animal viruses 1. Adsorption - Specific interaction with the peplomers allows for attachment *host range: what hosts can be recognized by the virus (i.e. rabies is able to target any mammal)* 2. Penetration - once inside, uncoating occurs: the breaking down of the capsid to release the genome 3 mechanisms for penetration Direct penetration - Done by some naked viruses - Most rare method - Virus attacks, punctures cell, and inserts the genome  i.e. poliovirus Endocytosis - Done by most enveloped viruses and some naked viruses - Virus attaches to receptor molecules on the cell - Cell is stimulated to endocytize the entire virus  Herpesvirus Fusion - Done by some enveloped viruses - The viral envelope fuses with the cytoplasmic membrane and releases the virus inside  Measles virus 3. Replication - DNA viruses: replication/assembly occurs in the nucleus - RNA viruses: replication/assembly occurs in the cytosol Types of Genomes dsDNA - All cellular machinery is used - Since cells normally replicate double-stranded DNA, they know what to do ssDNA - Host cellular RNA polymerase s
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit