HIST 1310 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Edmund Randolph, Columbian Exchange, Peculiar Institution

47 views7 pages
21 Nov 2017
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Identifications: virginia plan, new jersey plan, three-fifths rule, federalists, bill of rights, alien and sedition acts, the constitutional convention, may 1787 a. i. Ri not interested in sending someone to national meeting a. ii. 12 states meet in philadelphia to revise the articles of. Don"t want monarchy, but don"t want to leave the governing up to the layman: elect george washington to preside over the convention, elect to keep the meetings secret, virginia plan e. i. James madison & delegates propose articles get tossed out completely e. ii. Proposed a consolidated gov"t that could tax & legislate directly e. iii. Representation in houses based on population e. iv. 1. e. iv. 2. States with small populations weren"t crazy about the plan: new jersey plan. Each state receives equal representation in senate (2 senators) g. iii. Census taken every 10 years to determine population (starting in 1790: big-small state differences weren"t as bad as north-south differences i. South slaves have no rights and aren"t considered citizens i. i. 1.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers