IAFF 6138 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Victims Of Trafficking And Violence Protection Act Of 2000, Organ Trade

34 views2 pages

Document Summary

Human trafficking and dos report on people who are trafficked -> sex trafficking and forced prostitution (need to distinguish between voluntary prostitution and forced) -> labor trafficking. Trafficking as a development issue: we need to look at where people are in their socioeconomic, political context and identify vulnerability -> not just a matter of poverty. There can be grey areas: a case might look like a trafficking case but might not be, and vice versa. Smuggling (consensual transactions e. g. i pay someone to get me into a place/country where i am not allowed -> crime against the state) vs. trafficking. Can be in both a smuggling situation that turns into a trafficking situation. Human trafficking (qualifies as convention on transnational org. Consent of the victim of trafficking is irrelevant (important: removed the possibility of the trafficker claiming victim"s consent) Left the application of prostitution up to each country. 3 key debates: deceptive/coercive recruitment, movement across borders, exploitation of a person.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers