HPR 162 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Deinstitutionalisation
DepartmentHealth Professions (HPR) (*Formerly HPFS*)
Course CodeHPR 162
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Stigma is caused by fear.
Individuals often act strangely towards or think negatively of those with mental illnesses.
Stigma interferes with how you can get help.
It affects not only the patient, but also their family, friends and relationships.
- They may not understand.
- Cultural differences
- Financial dependency- can cause stress
- Compassion Fatigue- getting resentful and tired of an individual with a mental illness.
- Other children in the family may get neglected because their sibling with an illness gets
all their parent’s attention
- Dealing with their own stigma--- becomes isolating
If someone suffering from a mental illness attempts to suppress their symptoms, it will only
How society treats these individuals- neglects and shuns them
- Lack of funding for both treatment and housing.
- Providers drop out
- Prosecution of the mentally ill
- Housing is cheaper than paying for the incarceration of these individuals.
- A system that is designed to discourage people.
- Stalling tactics by insurance companies
- Some practitioners provide treatment at a reduced fee, in order to help patients who may
not be able to pay for full priced treatment.
- Overprescribing- MD or NPs
Mental Health Literacy
- Help to make sure people understand mental illness
- Those who are reluctant to believe that mental illnesses do exist, perpetually make the
- Employers can no longer legally have prejudice against those with mental illnesses.
- Pre-existing conditions can no longer be used against an individual.
- Deinstitutionalization- after Geraldo Rivera did a exposé on Willowbrook State Hospital.
- Today, people can not be held against their will, unless they are...
1. Suicidal, can be harmful to themselves.
2. Homicidal/Highly volatile, can be posed as a threat to others.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version