French Revolution Through Napoleon
1789: Starting date of the revolution
1791: The constitution is completed
Enlightenment trends are very important. Rumors played an interesting role in the revolution.
Beginning of the Revolution
- Gov’t power was in question. Who should be able to have it? How much should they
- Bottom up vs Top down Revolution
The King agrees to form a national assembly - national government.
Note the similarity between the English Civil War and Russian Revolution.
- Taxes had to be raised to pay for the war [ the 7 years war ]
- The tax system at the time was unfair.
- The burden of the taxes was placed on the third estate.
Social tension was also prevalent at this time.
- The very poor nobles were mad because people in the estates can buy nobility because
they couldn’t. Gets rid of social nobility.
There is also a lot going on in the Cat