HIS 102 (8)
Jasper (6)
Lecture 6

HIS 102 Lecture 6: Western Civ Lecture 6

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Illinois State University
HIS 102

HIS 102 Section 001 Lecture 6 Outline of Last Lecture I. Pre-existing Conditions a. France b. The Netherlands c. Bohemia II. Thirty Years War a. Impact on the People b. Peace of Westphalia c. Effects of the War Outline of Current Lecture I. Pre-Conditions of Absolutism II. France a. Henry IV b. Cardinal Richlieu c. Cardinal Marazin d. Louis XIV III.Eastern Europe IV. Russia a. Ivan IV b. Peter I Current Lecture Two forms of government emerge. o Absolutism o Constitutionalism Preconditions of Absolutism o Traditional order of society, defined by estates and ranks within estates.  “Body Politic” o Mounting pressures on peasants and nobles. o Monarchs bent on increasing direct authority. These notes represent a detailed interpretation of the professor’s lecture. GradeBuddy is best used as a supplement to your own notes, not as a substitute. o Social structure is like a tree. Nobility are the branches and the peasants are the trunk. Impossible for peasants to move up. o Absolute monarchs need some kind of support. France Henry IV (1589-1610) o Diffused religious turmoil (Edict of Nantes) o Appealed to traditional nobility but also created “nobility of the robe”. o Economic reconstruction. o Assassinated in 1610. Cardinal Richelieu (1585-1642) o Chief Minister for underage King Louis XIII. o Made royal power supreme in France and France supreme in Europe. o Destroyed nobles opposed to king and stripped Huguenots of their rights. o Administrative restructuring: creating of intendants. Cardinal Marazin (1602-1661) o Chief Minister for young Louis XIV.
More Less

Related notes for HIS 102

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.