HIS 220 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Helots, Agoge, Peloponnesian League

22 views3 pages
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Soldiers lived with their syssition (messi) mates until 30; retired at age 60. Prescribed roles by the state: only men who died in the battlefield and women who died during childbirth received a tombstone in sparta. The first woman to win at olympia was spartan: cynisca. My ancestors and brothers were kings of sparta, I declare that i am the only woman. Anachronisms in all of greece to have won this crown. I, cynisca, victorious with the chariot of swift-footed horses: homosexuality, pederasty. Same-sex relationships depended on status, gender, age, and citizenship status. The spartan constitution as it evolved: a mixed constitution. Dependence on foreign aid in late classical and hellenistic periods. Changes in demography and wealth: eugenics, hypomeiones (those who lost citizenship because they cannot pay their share in the syssition, mothakes (children from helot mothers and spartan fathers) Make the argument and conclusions usually in written form. Share the knowledge usually through publication.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers