How it Used to Be Done
• Hand written or typed and placed into a volume in the reading room.
• Depending on size of the repository, it was printed to give to other repositories,
labraries and individual researchers.
• Obviously hard for small repositories to get their collections out there.
• Then came the National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections (NUCMC 1959)
Then Came EAD
• Encoded Archival Description
o Developed in 1993/1994 at UC Berkely.
o 2002 saw its first major revision.
▪ Went from a standard for SGML to a standard for XML.