AN S 331 Lecture Notes - Lecture 24: Vitelline Membrane, Zp3, Female Condom

98 views13 pages

Document Summary

Set of procedures involved in ai: collection of semen from genetically superior males, processing of the semen sample, placement in processed semen into females reproductive tract. May be cheaper than purchasing and keeping males. Domestic turkeys: only way to reproduce (due to larger breast) Almost a necessity when performing synchronization of estrus/ ovulation in breeding females. May prove useful in producing offspring of a pre-determined gender when using sexed. Steps involved in ai sperm ( senger text fig 10-15 ) 1: performance records, pedigree, collection of semen i, artificial vagina (av) Disadvantages : ii: can obtain normal ejaculate, must train male to serve av, av must be proper size and temperature, electroejaculator. Advantages : i. ii: can obtain sample from untrained males, near 100% success obtaining a sample. Disadvantages : sample may be abnormal, altered proportion of seminal plasma, can become contaminated with urine, some discomfort to male, manual stimulation of penis i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers