GEOL 1 Lecture Notes - Lecture 28: Extinction Event, Flat Earth, Hadean
0 views2 pages
Notes: Geol 1
geology, science, scientific revolution
● Dynamic – “changing through time” = evolution
● Geology – a science that deals with the history of earth and its life especially as recorded in
○ A study of solid matter of a celestial body (as the moon)
● Earth system: geology covers all of them
○ Atmosphere - air
○ Hydrosphere - water
○ Lithosphere – land, internal structure
○ Biosphere – life
● One thing can change all others
Lecture 2 – History of Geology
● How does Earth form?
○ Flat earth theory was dominant in the past; now realize earth has many different
● How old is earth?
○ 4.6 billion years’ old
● Why strange creatures are in odd places?
○ The meaning of fossils – fossils are direct evidence of life in the past
○ Da Vinci was one of the first to sketch fossils of an unknown creature
○ Paleontology – the study of ancient life (using fossils) since the 1700s
● Science – is a way of knowing natural phenomena (in Latin science means knowledge)
○ Science requires the organized body of knowledge
○ Often seeks theoretical explanation (scientific hypothesis) for natural phenomena
● How to explain nature before 1543?
○ Thought earth was flat; could fall of the edge
○ Japan thought earthquake was caused by a huge catfish