HUM 2 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Conflict Resolution, Social Skills, Eugene S. Ferguson
2 views2 pages
Introduction to Humanities
● What do the arts accomplish?
○ Sense of belonging
○ Social and individual identity
○ Conflict resolution
○ Use the whole mind
● If the arts serve many purposes, how should we support them?
● Art means a lot of things to a lot of people (p. 62)
● Making something ordinary extraordinary
● Art creates oneness and unity
● The core cannot sustain itself
The case for philanthropy Why do people attend the arts?
● 73% to socialize
● 64% to learn
● 63% to experience
● 51% to support
● Why do people not attend the arts?
○ 47% time
○ 38% cost
○ 37% access
○ 22% nobody to go with Newfields.org (student ID = free pass)
○ Literary Readers and arts participants are more than twice as likely to volunteer
in their communities
○ Literary readers and art participants engage in sports twice as frequently
○ Both performing arts attendance and literary reading among young adults (age
18-24) have dropped (between 1982-2002)
○ Volunteering among young adults has also dropped (between 1982-2002)
○ The 92nd American Assembly
■ The report concludes that the arts:
● Help to define what it is to be an American
● Contribute to quality of life and economic growth
● Help to form an educated and aware citizenry
● Enhance individual life
■ If the arts serve many purposes, how should we support them?
○ Six major benefits associated with study of the arts and student achievement