Premium

1 Page

Department
English
Course Code
ENG-W 131
Professor
Jillian Gilmer

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full page of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Looking Away, Staring Back notes and outline Public staring is a pleasure to most Americans (79) After stating we often uncomfortably look away (79) Uses strong vocab like propriety and prohibition Sometimes you look at a person so extraordinary that forces you to look away (79) Evidence: Doug Auld created paintings of severely disabled people from burns to express who they really are at their core The paintings force the observer to see the paintings as beautiful even though the subject isnt inviting us to stare at the painting when in real life we wouldnt Intends to let these paintings able to be stared at without having to look away He first started doing this because he met a girl significantly burned When the girl did what everyone else did and looked back at him he looked away (81) Id rather people staring at a painting than me a subject said (81) Evidence: Another artist Chris Rush does something similar by painting disabled faces in a regal format He takes people with down syndrome and paints them on a profile pose where you cannot see the disabled features in that light looking away from people who make us uncomfortable differs from granting them visual anonymity and looing away is disrespectful People with physical disabilities have a hard time when people stare at them Evidence: Murphy was in and out of a wheelchair in his life and the stares he got when was in one were tense, awkward, and problematic The paintings invite us to stare to make us familiar to when we see them in real life making it less awkward (84) People who are stared at can break the awkwardness Evidence: Lucy Grealy spent a life time getting stared at and she has gotten used to it and made it less embarrassing (84) The African woman Shayla looks back at the viewer in the painting fearlessly One man who has been stared at his entire life is rude to the people who stare at him Starees have to become stronger at their interpersonal skills to make people feel more comfy They all have different ways of dealing with it (87) Evidence: Psychologist Len Sawisch uses steer staring Starees use different strategies for children and adults Evidence: Kevin Connolly takes pictures of people staring This is a very strong tactic to use and it shows what we look like when we stare pity is an emotional culdesac (93)
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit