Human Origins (Part 2)
2 mil – 150 thousand ya.
- Fluctuations in temperatures (about 18 degrees F) effects on water levels, plants, animals, humans, etc.
Homo erectus – adaptive! (first to leave Africa; into Africa, Europe, and Asia)
1.8 – 600,000 ya
Homo ergaster – only stayed in Africa
1.9 – 600,000 ya
- Short, but stocky, extremely muscular
- Brain largest so far, different in shape
- Completely bipedal, able to walk/run
- First group to have fire, clothes, etc.
1. Long-term childhood (narrower hips smaller babiesmore/longer care)
2. Long-term pair bonding (sexual dimorphism decreased)
Eugenie DeBoyd – finds first Homo erectus, named “Java” Man (Indonesia)