Premium

2 Pages

Department
BIOL - Biology
Course Code
BIOL 104
Professor
Dr. Major

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Developmental Biology
Chicken Egg Chick
Step #1-Fertilization:
Fusion of sperm and egg haploid nuclei
The Mature Sperm Cell:
Acrosomeenzymes that digest proteins and carbohydrates
Midpiececontains lots of mitochondria
Tailflagellum containing microtubules and dynein motor protein
The Egg:
Plasma Membrane
Zona Pellucida
Jelly
Ovulation is the release of the egg from the ovary
The Ampulla is the region of fertilization within the fallopian tube
The Acrosomal Reaction:
Enzymes spill out of the acrosome and breakdown the jelly surrounding the egg
When sperm and egg fuse:
The two egg membranes separate from each other
This prevents polyspermy (fertilization by more than one sperm)
Step #2Cleavage
Zygote undergoes a series of rapid cell divisions
Cell Cleavage
Cleavage occurs as the embryo migrates along the fallopian tube toward the uterus for
implantation
We now have a blastocyst
Inner Cell Mass (ICM)
This will become the embryo
Step #3-Gastrulation
Cells move around to form three cell layers
The Node
The Primitive Streak
The ells i the top laer die do ito the priitie streak to for the iside laers
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Developmental Biology Chicken Egg Chick Step #1-Fertilization: Fusion of sperm and egg haploid nuclei The Mature Sperm Cell: Acrosomeenzymes that digest proteins and carbohydrates Midpiececontains lots of mitochondria Tailflagellum containing microtubules and dynein motor protein The Egg: Plasma Membrane Zona Pellucida Jelly Ovulation is the release of the egg from the ovary The Ampulla is the region of fertilization within the fallopian tube The Acrosomal Reaction: Enzymes spill out of the acrosome and breakdown the jelly surrounding the egg When sperm and egg fuse: The two egg membranes separate from each other This prevents polyspermy (fertilization by more than one sperm) Step #2Cleavage Zygote undergoes a series of rapid cell divisions Cell Cleavage Cleavage occurs as the embryo migrates along the fallopian tube toward the uterus for implantation We now have a blastocyst Inner Cell Mass (ICM) This will become the embryo Step #3-Gastrulation Cells move around to form three cell layers The Node The Primitive Streak The cells in the top layer dive down into the primitive streak to form the inside layers This is a cross-section of these cell movement: The Node Primitive Streak Layer #1 Layer #2 Layer #3 Each layer will develop into different tissues/organs in the adult. We start out as a line! 1. Our central nervous systems run from brain to tailbone 2. Our vertebral bones and ribs run from neck to waist 3. Our back muscles run from neck to tailbone 4. Out digestive tracts run from mouth to anus The Node is the most critical part of the story (VERY POWERFUL) Hans Spemann and Hilde Mangold They transplanted the nose to a different location in the embryo Node transplantation introduces a second axis Node is transplanted to another spot (From Donor to Host) Induced Embryo and Host Embryo The Node is called the organizer because it is capable of organiz
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit