HIST 205 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Asteroid Family, Majdanek Concentration Camp

80 views2 pages
28 Mar 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The maidanek camp was established by the nazis in 1941 soon after their conquest of the then russian occupied region of poland. The primary purpose of the facility was the speedy extermination of new arrivals (mostly jews) transported in from various countries including czechoslovakia, france, austria, and holland. The majority of victims, however, came from the immediate area. It is estimated that 1. 5 million died at the camp during its three years of operation. Soviet troops entered the camp in july 1944. A week later, alexander werth joined a group of fellow reporters in a guided tour of the facility: "my first reaction to maidanek was a feeling of surprise. I had imagined something horrible and sinister beyond words. "is that it?" was my first reaction when we stopped at what looked like a large workers" settlement. Behind us was the many towered skyline of lublin. There was much dust on the road, and the grass as dull, greenish-grey colour.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers