2/21/17 Geog notes
- 80% of population lives in cities (urban) in the USA
- What defines urban?
- CBD – central business district: tall buildings, public transit, office space, some housing, grid
system, financial institutions, seat of power (# of people)
- Megacities? – new York city, Los Angeles (Only these 2)
o Amenities, entertainment, restaurants
o # of people = urban? 2,500 USA
- Atlanta, Georgia: Black Capital of USA – majority black; 65%
o Office holders- politics
o African American middle class and upper class
- White suburbs:
o Black CBD/ city limits
o White flight- voluntary movement of white families away from encroaching minorities.
▪ Driven by what? – Fear, paranoia
- Redlining: the deliberate showing of real estate following race and or the not providing financing
for home purchase in black neighborhoods
o Blacks move to a highly white populated area, then whites start to leave, and property
o Baltimore city- Jewish people left moved to Baltimore county -> Pikesville … African
- Ghettos: area defined by a concentration of a particular characteristic
o 1 ghetto : Jewish
o Ex. Little Italy, china towns
- Suburbs- area around a city where people commute from, to work.
o Suburbanization act of 1949: GI bill, long term mortgages 30-years American Dream