CHEM 1151 – 9/13
Naming Ionic Compounds:
• Learn the names/formulas and charges
• Give the name of the positive ion (if the positive ion has more than one charge, include
a roman numeral in the name)
• Give the name of the negative ion
• If monatomic ion: end in –ide (usually)
• If polyatomic ion: end in –ate (usually)
Naming Covalent Compounds:
• Use a prefix and the name of the first element
• Use a prefix and the name of the second element. The second element ends in –ide.
• EXCEPTION: do not use the prefix mono with the first element.
Lewis Dot Diagrams/Lewis Struc