MUSI 1107 Lecture 4: Prelude 4 Quiz Answers
Course CodeMUSI 1107
ProfessorN Athaniel Parker
This preview shows pages 1-2. to view the full 7 pages of the document.
Prelude 4 Quiz Answers
1. Classical-era composers rarely performed their own works in concerts.
2. Public performances were rare during the Classical era
3. Which of the following best describes musical life in the Classical era?
The rise of public performances gave composers new venues to perform their
4. Which of the following was NOT an eighteenth-century ruler?
Elizabeth I of England
5. The system in which the aristocracy sponsored musicians during the Classical
era is called
6. Which of the following does NOT describe Maria Theresa von Paradis?
Renowned composer of opera
7. Which of the following best describes the melodies of the Classical period
Conjunct, diatonic, singable
8. Which American president was an architect who spurred a classical revival in
9. Which of the following does NOT characterize the Classical style?
Highly chromatic harmony
10. The Classical movement has a clear beginning delineated by leaders arguing for
11. Some women achieved fame during the eighteenth century as opera singers
and as solo instrumentalists.
12. Classical-era sunned folk and popular elements.
13. Which role in musical life was socially acceptable for eighteenth-century
14.The concept of rhythmic regularity suggests:
Strong rhythms moving at a steady tempo.
15. The audience of the eighteenth century, like that of today, was mainly
interested in music from the past.
Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.
Chapter 22 Quiz Answers
1. The repetition of a motive at a higher or lower pitch level is called:
2. Which of the following was NOT a major composer of string quartets?
3. Thematic development is necessary in smaller musical forms.
4. A composer can fragment a theme by dividing it into smaller units
5. Which movement is the most highly organized and most characteristic of
the multi movement cycle?
6. In the Classical multi movement cycle, the third movement is typically a
minuet and trio.
7. The form of the slow movement of Haydn’s String Quartet, Op. 76, No. 3
Theme and variations
8. Which of the following best describes absolute music?
Music without a story or text
9. Which of the following is a common characteristic of the second
movement of a multi movement cycle?
Lyrical, songful melodies
10. The melody for the slow movement of Haydn’s String Quartet, Op. 76,
No. 3 became the national anthem of:
11. Who was Haydn’s principal patron?
12. The term multi movement cycle is applied not only to sonatas and
chamber music but also to concertos and symphonies.
13. The concept of music as a conversation is best seen in the Classical
14. The career of Joseph Haydn spanned the years from the formation of the
Classical style to the beginning of Romanticism.
15. Which of the following compositional techniques does theme and
variation form often utilize?
All of the above!
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version