STAT 3010 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Pivot Table, Group Selection

30 views3 pages
1 Oct 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
To complete Table 6.1, displayed above, I first had to determine how I wanted to divide the data
up. I knew from the instruction of question six that my data had to be broken up into low,
medium and high categories. I knew that the data’s minimum income was $743.30 and the
maximum income was $4556.40, so I decided to subtract my minimum from my maximum
which gave me $3813.30. I then divided $3813.30 by three because I needed the data to be
broken up into three data categories. $3813.30 divided by three gave me $1271.03. Therefore, I
rounded up to $1300. This means my low, medium and high categories will all be separated by
$1300. My IF statement gave me the data to fill in my INCOMECAT column. The equation used
for the data set for INCOMECAT reads as:
“=IF(E2<2043.3,"LOW",IF(E2<3343.3,"MEDIUM","HIGH"))”. E2 is the INCOME column
applied to the IF statement that will change as it corresponds with the current row to which the IF
statement is applying. Once I completed the IF statement for all 75 data points, and each row in
the INCOMECAT had a low, medium or high, I was then able to create a pivot table. For the
pivot table, I first highlighted all my data in the INCOMECAT column. Then on the top ribbon I
clicked insert and chose to add a pivot table in a new worksheet. I dragged INCOMECAT into
the rows and values boxes within the pivot table field to create my pivot table. Based on how I
broke up the boxes, the data stated that there were 20 data points in the low category, 46 data
Table 6.1: Frequency Table of
Income Category (n=75)
INCOMECAT
Frequency
LOW
MEDIUM
HIGH
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get OneClass Notes+

Unlimited access to class notes and textbook notes.

YearlyBest Value
75% OFF
$8 USD/m
Monthly
$30 USD/m
You will be charged $96 USD upfront and auto renewed at the end of each cycle. You may cancel anytime under Payment Settings. For more information, see our Terms and Privacy.
Payments are encrypted using 256-bit SSL. Powered by Stripe.