SOC 160 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Social Polarization
22 views2 pages
• Social Problem
o Class Inequality
▪ Claim- U.S has significant social satisfaction
▪ Grounds-Life chances for poor in America decreasing
• How is income distributed?
• How are the wealthy defined?
• The evidence of a problem
o Example- There is a concentrated income that is in the
hands of very few
• A condition inconsistent with values
o Example- Have the contours of class blurred or
• Effects of Inequality
▪ You have less free time because you are constantly working to get what
you want in life including cars, houses, and good schools.
▪ Health Insurance
• Fewer houses have health insurance and the people who do have to
pay more to accommodate for the people who don’t
• Health insurance costs the same no matter your income