PHIL 112 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Modus Ponens, Modus Tollens, Disjunctive Syllogism

112 views6 pages
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Exam #1 study guide: define and understand: argument, valid, sound, modus ponens, multiple modus ponens, . Disjunctive syllogism, and modus tollens. : argument a. i. An argument is a sequence of sentences, the last of which (the conclusion) is supposed to follow from the others (the premises a. i. 1. Sequence indicates a collection of sentences has a specific order (order: valid matters) b. i. An argument is valid if its conclusion must be true if its premises are all tore b. i. 1. If an argument is valid, then it is impossible for premises to be true and the: sound conclusion to be false c. i. An argument is sound if it is valid and all of its premises are true: modus ponens d. i. If p, then q: multiple modus ponens e. i. Therefore, not p: present, explain, and evaluate priest"s argument against the wittgenstein/derrida account of philosophy, priests argument against the wittonstein/ derrida account of philosophy a. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers