SOCI 4390 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: George Herbert Mead, Symbolic Interactionism, Continental Philosophy

234 views14 pages
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Pragmatism- founded by charles pierce, but developed by william james (known as the major philosopher behind pragmatism); a way of approaching knowledge, not an argument a. ii. 1. An attempt to adopt scientific methodology to continental philosophy a. ii. 1. a. Rationalistic methodologies to subjective philosophic perspectives a. ii. 2. a. ii. 3. The way we make out things in a society. Symbolic interactionism is influential to postmodernism & poststructuralism: basic outlook b. i. Behaviorism- major school of thought in psychology (john b. watson & b. f. skinner); stimulus response b. i. 1. b. i. 2. The more complex the brain the more complex the response. Mead argues that there is a 3rd step b. ii. 1. Culture is not about predetermined responses, but rather about interpretations which are grounded in culture, but it is still an interpretive process that is occurring b. ii. 2. All types of language are types of communication, but not all types of communication are types of language b. ii. 2. a. Language is built on interpretations of the world b. ii. 2. b. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers