PSYC 102 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Pituitary Gland, Reticular Formation, Circadian Rhythm

22 views3 pages

Document Summary

Biology of mind: phrenology: studying bumps on the skull to reveal mental abilities character traits, franz gall, early 1800s, how the brain and body communicate, neurons: building blocks of the nervous system a. i. Axon (passes messages away from the cell to other neurons muscles, or glands) a. iii. Terminal branches of axon (form junctions with other cells) a. iv. Cell body (the cell life s support center) a. v. Neural impulse (action potential, electrical signal traveling down the axon) a. vi. Myelin sheath( covers the axon of some neurons and helps speed neural impulses: sensory neuron: carries messages inward toward spinal cord and brain, motor neuron: carries messages away from spinal and brain to d. muscles. Interneurons: information processing in brain and spinal cord between sensory and motor neurons: neural connections, glial cells f. i. Neurotransmitter: chemical messenger that crosses the: the nervous system synaptic gap, central nervous system a. i. Brain and spine: peripheral nervous system b. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers