ANTH 4060 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Tapetum Lucidum, Bicornuate Uterus, Postorbital Bar

87 views7 pages
27 Sep 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Lemurs are the only nonhuman primates on madagascar. Asia galagos are in africa, the genus loris is in s. e. How prosimians (lemurs, lorises and tarsiers) differ from (most) anthropoids (see fleagle, p. 90, 5. 1) lemurs and lorises: claw on 2 nd digit of foot video: perodicticus potto (also has a double tongue) tarisers: claws on 2 nd and 3 rd digits of foot. Larger orbits; predominantly rods (i. e. , few cones) as photoreceptors in retina. Bi(cid:272)or(cid:374)uate uterus (cid:894)two (cid:862)hor(cid:374)s(cid:863)(cid:895) i(cid:374) prosi(cid:373)ia(cid:374)s; si(cid:373)ple(cid:454) uterus (cid:894)si(cid:374)gle (cid:271)od(cid:455)(cid:895) i(cid:374) anthropoids. Unfused symphysis of mandible in prosimians (i. e. , two halves of mandible unfused); fused in anthropoids. Like a deer, after death the two parts of the mandible will fall apart. Anthropoids likely developed fused mandible because we are eating much togher foods and needed to decrease movement of the jaw to increase friction. 2-3 pairs of mammary glands in prosimians; one pair of glands in anthropoids.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers