CMST 2060 Lecture 2: 2060speechINFO

155 views1 pages
1 May 2018
School
Course
Professor
CMST 2060 INFORMATIVE SPEECH – 100 PTS.
This speech is aimed at getting the audience to understand some basic factual material which
they have either been unaware of, have not understood at all, or have understood incompletely.
The information presented in this speech should be new and/or useful to your audience. This
speech is intended to build basic knowledge.
Keep the speech tight and to the point. A sharpened purpose statement will serve as a guide to
content development. It will limit you in a good way – keep you from wandering off on tangents.
An effective purpose statement might look like this: “I will teach my audience to repair a loose
button.” All of your supporting points should aid in attaining your informational goal as stated in
your purpose statement. If anything does not buttress your purpose statement, ask yourself
whether it really belongs in the speech.
Focus only on informational aspects of your topic – do not offer opinions or advocate positions
on controversial subjects. In other words, NO PERSUASION! Your speech may involve any
typical informative type such as describing, instructing, and/or explaining.
Once again, when choosing a topic, stay close to home (i.e., something you already know about
and care about).
A basic key-word outline must be turned in immediately prior to speaking. At least two outside
research sources are required for this assignment. Sources must be cited in your outline using
APA or any other generally accepted scholarly style manual, as well as orally cited in your
speech. The speech should be 4:00 to 5:00 minutes in length. Two points will be deducted for
each 15 seconds over or under the time limit after a grace period of 15 seconds in each direction.
We will begin hearing informative speeches on 3/5.
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

This speech is aimed at getting the audience to understand some basic factual material which they have either been unaware of, have not understood at all, or have understood incompletely. The information presented in this speech should be new and/or useful to your audience. This speech is intended to build basic knowledge. Keep the speech tight and to the point. A sharpened purpose statement will serve as a guide to content development. It will limit you in a good way keep you from wandering off on tangents. An effective purpose statement might look like this: i will teach my audience to repair a loose button. all of your supporting points should aid in attaining your informational goal as stated in your purpose statement. If anything does not buttress your purpose statement, ask yourself whether it really belongs in the speech. Focus only on informational aspects of your topic do not offer opinions or advocate positions on controversial subjects.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers