16 Jun 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
5-1
LAB 5:
Work and Energy
In a somewhat circular set of definitions, work is the transfer of energy and energy is the ability to do
work. In accelerating a baseball from rest to some final speed, you must apply a force to the baseball
though soe aeleatio distae. I the ed, ou’e gie something to the baseball by increasing its
speed. That something is stored energy from your body ou’e gie to the baseball by doing some
positive work on it, and the resulting energy possessed by the baseball is of the kinetic variety.
In the converse case, a catcher slowing a thrown baseball to rest must do negative work on the ball to
pull its kinetic energy out. Unfortunately for the catcher, that removed energy is transferred into heat
ad a’t e saed fo late use.
In all cases, it is impossible to exert a force into a direction of distance without doing some amount of
work in the process. Work is defined as the product between the component of a force parallel to the
direction of motion and the distance over which the force acts.
Eqn. 5-1:
Work due to a Constant Force
The units Newton-meters have a special name: Joules (J).
Storing Energy
In the example above of throwing a baseball, it seems that the final kinetic energy originated
somewhere within you before being transferred to the baseball. Potential Energy comes in many forms:
elastic, electric, chemical, nuclear, gravitational and more. Potential energy is stored energy that can be
converted to other useful forms. In the above example, the baseball pitcher converted stored chemical
eeg ito the aseall’s kieti eeg though the atio of doig ok.
Consider an example wherein we lift a heavy book from the ground to a tabletop. We must use a force
eual to the ook’s eight, mg, in order to lift it without giving it an acceleration or final kinetic energy.
If we apply this force from the ground to the final height, h, the work done is mg times change in height.
Beause thee’s o kieti eeg at the top of the lift, the work you put into the book must have gone
somewhere else. The energy was stored by the interaction with the gravitational field, and will
expectedly come out as kinetic energy if we were to drop the book. Your study of kinematics tells you
that the ook aeleates ith ieasig speed util it stikes the goud. Up util ipat, the ook’s
gravitational potential energy was completely converted to kinetic energy associated with its final
speed. These two ideas are summarized in the following equations.
 
Eqn. 5-2:
Gravitational Potential Energy

Eqn. 5-3:
Kinetic Energy
This convertibility of energy from one form to another is a universal constant called the Law of
Conservation of Energy which states: energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one
form to another. This means that energy is never truly lost in an interaction, and that physics is basically
glorified accounting. Follow the energies and balance the checkbooks.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
5-2
Coseatio is aothe od ith diffeet eaigs i eeda speeh ad siee. Wheeas i
Eglish oseatio is used to ea saig fo late, i siee oseatio stitl eas ot lost.
Whe e sa eeg is oseed e ea all of the energy before an event is accounted for after the
event.
Friction
A second question comes up in our baseball example involving the catcher. The pitcher converted
potential energy into kinetic; however, when the catcher did negative work to pull the kinetic energy
out of the ball, the catcher did not convert it into stored potential energy. Where did the energy go?
According to the Law of Conservation of Energy, the energy extracted from the baseball still exists. As
the muscles contract and resist the all’s foad otio, the usle fies u agaist oe aothe ad
produce heat due to friction. Other forms of energy may have also come out (sound from slapping the
mitt, deformations in the ball, etc.), and the total net sum of all their contributions must add up to the
original kinetic energy of the baseball.
Ou odies do’t hae a ehais fo oetig ehaial o kieti eeg into stored potential
eeg. A spig ould hae stoed the all’s eeg as it opesses, ut ee that amount would
oe up a little shot due to soe slight heatig. Alost all eeg oesios epeiee soe
inefficiency and appear not to be conserved. We tend to make a distinction between energy that can do
useful ok ad eeg that is aste. In the analogy between energy and accounting, think about
a eeg oesio as a puhase ith soe assoiated ta.
A usual suspet fo lost eeg is fo fitio. Fitioal foes geeall ae i the opposite dietio
of applied forces (and the direction of motion) so these frictional forces are doing negative work. You
put work into a system while friction is taking work away in the form of waste heat. The magnitude of
friction depends upon two important parameters: the coefficient of friction μ and the normal force
(FN). The oeffiiet is a paaete of ho stik the sufae is etee to uig ojets. The
oal foe is ho had the to sufaes ae pessed agaist oe aothe ad is the agitude of
the force perpendicular to the touching surfaces. Frictional forces (Ff) are given as:
Eqn. 5-4:
Magnitude of Frictional Force
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

In a somewhat circular set of definitions, work is the transfer of energy and energy is the ability to do work. In accelerating a baseball from rest to some final speed, you must apply a force to the baseball th(cid:396)ough so(cid:373)e a(cid:272)(cid:272)ele(cid:396)atio(cid:374) dista(cid:374)(cid:272)e. i(cid:374) the e(cid:374)d, (cid:455)ou"(cid:448)e gi(cid:448)e(cid:374) something to the baseball by increasing its speed. That something is stored energy from your body (cid:455)ou"(cid:448)e gi(cid:448)e(cid:374) to the baseball by doing some positive work on it, and the resulting energy possessed by the baseball is of the kinetic variety. In the converse case, a catcher slowing a thrown baseball to rest must do negative work on the ball to pull its kinetic energy out. Unfortunately for the catcher, that removed energy is transferred into heat a(cid:374)d (cid:272)a(cid:374)"t (cid:271)e sa(cid:448)ed fo(cid:396) late(cid:396) use. In all cases, it is impossible to exert a force into a direction of distance without doing some amount of work in the process.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers