PSYC 2000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Pineal Gland, Fatal Familial Insomnia, Microsleep

119 views4 pages
20 Sep 2016
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Awareness of everything around you and inside of your own head at any given moment a. i. a. ii. Used to organize your behavior, thoughts, sensations, and feelings. Generated from a set of action potentials b. Shifts in the quality or pattern of mental activity a. i. 1. a. a. i. 1. b. a. i. 1. c. a. i. 1. d. a. i. 1. e. a. i. 1. f. Suprachiasmatic nucleus (scn) of the hypothalamus, pineal gland, and melatonin a. i. 1. a. When it gets dark : the scn triggers the secretion of melatonin from the pineal gland a. i. 1. b. When it gets light: the scn stops the secretion of melatonin a. ii. The higher the temperature the more alert we are. The lower the temperature the sleepier we are a. i. 2. As it builds up we become more sleepy. Brief periods of sleep that last only a few seconds a. i. 2. Missing 1 single night of sleep a. i. 1. a. a. i. 1. b. a. i. 1. a. i. a. i. 1. a. ii. a. i. 1. a. iii. a. i. 1. a. iv. a. i. 1. a. v. a. i. 1. a. vi. a. i. 1. a. vii. a. i. 1. a. viii. Missing multiple days of sleep (no sleep or reduced levels)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers