Psychology
Course
PSYC 2000
Professor
Katherine Moen
Semester
Fall

Description
PSYC 2000: MOEN 1 Chapter 12: Social Psychology  What is social psychology? o The branch of psychology that studies how the thoughts, feelings, and behaviors of individuals are influenced by the real, imagined, or implied presence of others.  Social _____  Groups o Conformity  Changing your behavior to match that of other people  Laughing because everyone else is  Group bulling  Asch’s Study  Example: Buzz Feed video and Elevator video o Groupthink  Placing more importance on maintaining group cohesiveness than on assessing the facts of a problem  Everyone (but you) wants sushi. What do you do?  Titanic and Challenger o They wanted it to launch on time to maintain group cohesiveness no one spoke up. o Compliance  Foot-in-the-door technique  “Can you pick me up from the airport?” - Yes  “Can you also take care of my cat and take me to pick up my car?” - Yes  Asking a small question initially, will make a person more likely to say yes for the following questions.  Door-in-the-face technique  “Can you also take care of my cat and take me to pick up my car?” - No  “Can you pick me up from the airport?” – Yes  Lowball technique  “Can you pick me up from the airport?” – Yes  “The airport is in Florida.”  Will still do because they already said yes.  Loaded question. o Obedience  Changing your behavior at the command of an authority figure  Why do good people do bad things when they’re told to?  WWII  Milgram’s Study  The participant was the teacher who would “shock” the learner every time the question was answered wrong.  There was an extreme force of obedience; they looked the part and acted the part. 2  1 obedience study  1 unethical study  Evaluating Milgram’s Study  Are we all capable of horrible things?  Foot-in-the-door technique  Increase the shock by larger increments, they won’t do it  “You have no other choice, you must continue” vs. “You must continue”  Participants were trying to achieve a goal  Is this ethical? No.  Attitudes and Prejudices o Attitudes  The tendency to respond positively or negatively toward a certain person, object, idea, or situation  Three Components of Attitudes  1. Affective: emotions, feelings  2. Cognitive: thoughts, beliefs  3. Behavioral: intentions, past behavior (actions)  What we say doesn’t always line up with what we do  Cognitive Dissonance  When an attitude and a behavior are inconsistent  Attitude: Eating fast food is bad  Behavior: Eats Taco Bell  How do we resolve the conflict? o 1. Stop eating Taco Bell (change behavior) o 2. “Taco Bell isn’t bad for you” (attitude change) o 3. “I’ll just eat tacos instead of Chalupas.” (slightly changing behavior & attitude)  Social Categorization  Impression Formation o What we think of someone else after meeting them o Primacy Effect  First impressions stick with you! o We naturally assign people to groups when we meet them  Stereotype: Set of characteristics that people believe is shared by all members of a particular social category o Attributions  The way we explaining our own behaviors and the behaviors of others  Situational Cause (External) o You’re late to class because of traffic  Dispositional Cause (Internal) o You’re late to class because you’re irresponsible  Fundamental Attribution Error PSYC 2000: MOEN 3 o Overestimate the influence of dispositional factors while underestimating situational factors o You wouldn’t be late, if you left early. o Prejudice and Discrimination  Prejudice  Native attitude held by a person about the members of a particular group  Discrimination  Treating people differently because of prejudice toward the group to which they belong  Three Components of Attitudes  1. Affective: emotions, feelings  2. Cognitive: thoughts, beliefs  3. Behavioral: intentions, past behavior  Affective  Prejudice  Cognitive  Stereotypes  Behavioral  Discrimination o Stereotype vs. Prejudice  Stereotype  A generalized (sometimes accurate but over generalized) belief about a group of people  Prejudice  An unjustifiable, negative attitude toward a group and its members o Prejudgment  Generally involves: o Stereotyped beliefs o Negative feelings o Predisposition to discriminatory action o Prejudice and Discrimination  Research suggests that overt prejudice has decreased over time  It has been less socially acceptable to the prejudice  “Subtle” prejudice remains  “Modern” prejudice  examples  Ageism, sexism, racism, body size, religion 
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit