PSYC 2000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Peripheral Nervous System, Spinal Cord, Autonomic Nervous System

113 views4 pages
14 Sep 2016
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Spinal cord to muscles: peripheral nervous system a. b. Hillock :where the soma meets the axon where the axon potential begins a. i. 1. b. Covers the axon and helps speed neural impulses a. i. 1. b. Tiny gap between the axon tip of the neuron and the dendrite or cell body of the receiving neuron. Released from the sending neuron, travel across the synapse and bind to receptor sites on the receiving neuron thereby influencing it a. i. 1. b. The process applies brakes on neurotransmitter action a. i. 1. b. Increases original message that neurotransmitters was supposed to send a. i. 1. a. ii. Blocks original message that neurotransmitter was supposed to send a. i. 1. a. ii. Some drugs act by affecting the amount of neurotransmitters available at the synapse: white matter. Similarity: produce molecules that act elsewhere in the body. Gets rid of waste: somatic nervous system i. ii. Voluntary muscle movement: endocrine system i. ii. iii. iv. Responsible for growth and control of other glands i. 2.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers