PSYC 338 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Externalization, Karen People, Karen Horney

66 views3 pages
19 Feb 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

I"ll be so nice helpful, conforming, self-effacing solution, moving toward people. I"ll control things, manipulate, exploit, attack if needed: the expansive solution of moving against people. I"ll grow my own protective shell, be independent, rebellious, or not look at painful things: the resignation solution: moving away from people. Externalization: other people become the center of the neurotic"s life. Creation of blind spots: inability to see how different one is from one"s ideal image. Compartmentalization between various areas of life eg: business, family, church. Rationalization: e. g: i did this to make them happy (no--to make them like you) Excessive self-control: don"t want to be caught in any emotion, vulnerability. Arbitrary rightness: seemingly impulsive decisions (to avoid the pain of real decision making) that are then rationalized. Cynicism: assuming that self-interest is the only motivation in operation, and therefore behaving that way oneself. Replace search for glory (idealized self image) with striving for self realization.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers