AMS 207 Lecture 4: AMS 207 Notes 2-16

23 views2 pages
11 May 2017
Course
Professor
Manifest Destiny
- The belief that the Us was destines to expand Westward over the entire continent:
geographial deteriis
o Used to justify conquering Native Americans
- Focuses on American capitalist energy on the American West
- Demonstrates American epasioist attitudes, optiis ad idealis ad a elief i diie
proidee i the 19th century
Jefferson Agrarianism
- For Jefferson, agrarian life was the most virtuous (thought cities increased immoral behavior);
he built his notion of republicanism around the farmer and imagined a republic of yeoman
farmers stretching to the wests. Economic self-sufficiency and land ownership would create
independent, civic-minded citizens
- Those ho laor i the earth are the hose people of God.
- The philosophy drove the Louisiana Purchase and Levis and Clark expedition
Monroe Doctrine
- States that no European powers should attempt to colonize lands in North America, particularly
i the Aeria West ad the Cariea. A attept to do so ill e take as hostile atio
against the United States. Also states that US will stay out of European political affairs outside of
North America
o Isolationism
- While the Monroe Doctrine is generally interpreted as isolationist, it focused US energy on the
American West and Caribbean.
Jacksonian Democracy, 1828-1850s
- Adre Jakso’s politial philosoph foused o the oo a: eteded otig rights to
all white men; decentralized banking institutions; Indian removal for homesteading; allowing for
quick change to statehood in Midwest
- Roati Deora
- Emphasis on creating unique American Culture
Texas
- Texas fights and wins a war of independence from Mexico and becomes a nation; is annexed by
the US in 1845, which engenders the Mexican-American war where the US wins most of the
present day Southwest
- Like the drastic increase in US technological growth, victory leads to optimism and self-
confidence
Other factors
- Preemptive Act (1841) and Homestead Act (1862) guarantee land for settlers in the West
- Railroad building
- Gold rush
- Urban problems discussed last week; real estate speculation
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get OneClass Notes+

Unlimited access to class notes and textbook notes.

YearlyBest Value
75% OFF
$8 USD/m
Monthly
$30 USD/m
You will be charged $96 USD upfront and auto renewed at the end of each cycle. You may cancel anytime under Payment Settings. For more information, see our Terms and Privacy.
Payments are encrypted using 256-bit SSL. Powered by Stripe.