Fall 2015

Department
Information Systems & Analytics
Course Code
ISA 387
Professor
Havelka Douglas
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT LIFE CYCLE (SDLC) HANDOUT
ISA387 – MIAMI UNIVERSITY – HAVELKA
THE SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT LIFE CYCLE (SDLC)
The systems development life cycle (SDLC) is a model of the processes typically used by
IS professionals when developing computer-based information systems applications. The
SDLC has been described in many ways by different experts; however, it is usually
represented as a series of phases that include related activities. These activities build upon
one another and are performed as more detailed information is gathered about a system
and more work is performed to move a project from an idea to an implemented system.
Usually IS development is done in an iterative and project-oriented environment.
One of the simplest versions of the SDLC is composed of five phases: planning, analysis,
design, implementation, and support. These phases are described below. It should be
noted that the support phase may not be considered part of the “development” life cycle,
but is normally included to complete the natural cycle that an IS goes through.
PLANNING
The planning phase consists of activities that are required to initiate, evaluate, plan, and
obtain approval for the project. The main activities in the project planning phase are:
Activities Tools/deliverables
Define the problem
Confirm project feasibility
Produce the project schedule
Staff the project
Launch the project
System request
System proposal
Feasibility study
Function point analysis
ANALYSIS
The analysis phase consists of activities that are required to identify and prioritize the
business needs and to develop requirements of the new system. The activities involved in
this phase are:
Activities Tools/deliverables
Gather information
Define system requirements
Build prototypes for discovery of
requirements
Prioritize requirements
Generate and evaluate alternatives
Review recommendations with
management
CASE Tools (Visio, etc.)
UML
Use case diagram / descriptions
Sequence diagrams
Class diagrams
Structured Techniques
Dataflow diagrams
Entity-relationship diagrams
Data Structure Definition (generic)
DESIGN
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT LIFE CYCLE (SDLC) HANDOUT ISA387 – MIAMI UNIVERSITY – HAVELKA THE SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT LIFE CYCLE (SDLC) The systems development life cycle (SDLC) is a model of the processes typically used by IS professionals when developing computer-based information systems applications. The SDLC has been described in many ways by different experts; however, it is usually represented as a series of phases that include related activities. These activities build upon one another and are performed as more detailed information is gathered about a system and more work is performed to move a project from an idea to an implemented system. Usually IS development is done in an iterative and project-oriented environment. One of the simplest versions of the SDLC is composed of five phases: planning, analysis, design, implementation, and support. These phases are described below. It should be noted that the support phase may not be considered part of the “development” life cycle, but is normally included to complete the natural cycle that an IS goes through. PLANNING The planning phase consists of activities that are required to initiate, evaluate, plan, and obtain approval for the project. The main activities in the project planning phase are: Activities Tools/deliverables  Define the problem System request  Confirm project feasibility System proposal  Produce the project schedule Feasibility study  Staff the project Function point analysis  Launch the project ANALYSIS The analysis phase consists of activities that are required to identify and prioritize the business needs and to develop requirements of the new system. The activities involved in this phase are: Activities Tools/deliverables  Gather information CASE Tools (Visio, etc.) UML  Define system requirements  Build prototypes for discovery of  Use case diagram / descriptions requirements  Sequence diagrams  Prioritize requirements  Class diagrams Structured Techniques  Generate and evaluate alternatives  Review recommendations with  Dataflow diagrams management  Entity-relationship diagrams  Data Structure Definition (generic) DESIGN The design phase consists of activities that are required to develop the solution system and the programs. The major activities that must b
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit