SOC 153 Lecture 2: Ferrante Chapter 2

5 Pages

Department
Sociology
Course Code
SOC 153
Professor
Jaylene Liang

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Page: of

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Ferrante Chapter 2 3 Major Sociological Paradigms: Sociologists draw on three broad perspectivesfunctionalist, conflict, and symbolic interactionto guide analysis of any trend, issue, or situation. Functionalist Perspective: Functionalists focus on how the parts of society contribute in expected and unexpected ways of maintaining an existing social order. They also focus on ways parts can disrupt that social order. - Functionalists define society as a system of interrelated, interdependent parts. To illustrate this vision, functionalists use the human body as an analogy for society. Function: The contribution a part of a society makes to an existing social order. Social Order: Refers to the way people have organized interaction and other activities to achieve some valued goalto take care of the sick, to pass on knowledge, to encourage interest in robots, and so on. Manifest Function: Intended or anticipated effects that a part has on the existing social order. Latent Function: Unintended or unanticipated effects that a part has on the existing order. Dysfunctions: Disruptive consequences of a part to the existing social order or some segment within that social order. Manifest Dysfunctions: A parts anticipated disruptions to an existing social order. Latent Dysfunctions: Unintended, unanticipated disruptions to an existing social order. Critiques of functionalist perspective: Strength: it gives a balanced overview by considering a parts intended and unintended consequences to the existing social order. Weakness: it leaves us wondering about a parts overall effect on that order. Conflict Perspective: The conflict perspective focuses on conflict over scarce and valued resources and the strategies advantaged groups used to create and protect the social arrangements from which they benefit. Faade of Legitimacy: An explanation to justify the existing social arrangements that downplays or dismisses any possibility that the arrangement advantages some groups over others. Critiques of Conflict perspective:Strength: it forces us to look beyond popular justifications for why particular social arrangements exist, and to ask questions about whose interests are being protected and promoted and at whose expense Weakness: it presents a simplistic profile of those who hold advantaged positions. Symbolic Interaction Perspective: Symbolic interactionists focus on social interaction and related concepts of self-awareness/reflexive thinking, symbols, and negotiated order. Social Interaction: Everyday encounters in which people communicate, interpret, and respond to each others words and actions. - These theorists ask, when involved in interaction, how do people take account of what each other is doing or is about to do and then direct their own conduct accordingly (Blumer 1969)? The process depends on - (1)self-awareness, - (2)shared symbols, and - (3)negotiated order. Self-Awareness: occurs when a person is able to observe and evaluate the self from anothers viewpoint. People are self-aware when they imagine how others are viewing, evaluating, and interpreting their words
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit