11/29 Culture Change and Globalization
• Global Culture- Intellectually, food traditions, sports..
• How and Why do cultures change?
◦ Independent invention
• Independent Invention
◦ Least common
◦ New solutions to problems
◦ Occurs simultaneously in different areas
◦ EX:Agriculture in the Middle East; creation stories, philosophies
◦ Most quickly
◦ Spread of culture through borrowing
◦ Main source of change in human history
◦ Two types
▪ direct; between nearby cultures (uppers sound more like Canadians)
▪ indirect; by long distance medium (television)
◦ Two groups in continuous firsthand contact
◦ One group more powerful
◦ Most acculturation forced through warfare or colonization
• What is Globalization?
◦ Modern nations more connected and inter-dependent
◦ Increased diffusion and acculturation
• Results from Globalization: Increase in...
◦ Systems of communication and transportation of goods
◦ Gap in wealth worldwide
◦ Domination of local peoples by larger economic and political syst