• Artifacts vary from one another
◦ Formal Variation (first things archaeologists look at)
◦ Spatial Variation (Where they are located)
▪ Hope Well artifacts: group of objects that were found in the center of burial sites. These
objects came from different sources, like copper from the U.P. Only for Elites*
▪ Knowing the location from where an artifact came from can tell you something else
about that artifact
▪ If an object is found in two places, there is a good change the two types of people had
something to do with one another
▪ How often and how many do you find that certain artifact?
▪ Can tell you about the value, or who had access to it
▪ What is something found with?
▪ When things are fo