ANP203 March 12, 2013
• Recording is the key to excavation. Provides a context for what comes out of the ground
• Site grid: measurement which covers entire excavation site. Usually looks like a piece of graph
paper that divides the site into smaller unit.
• Datum Point: a point from which all measurement on the site are taken. Usually in southwest
corner, so all measurements are measured from this point (northeast from the datum point)
• Site grid and a Datum point gives you control of things across the surface of a site.
• Vertical Control helps you when your trying to measure vertical measurements when
stratigraphy is involved.
• Transit: device that allows you to observe a level line as well as up and down.
• Stratigraphy can be cultural or natural
• An excavation will have a horizontal floor (Plan) and a vertical wall (profile)
• Intensive Excavations opens up the sit