CSD 333 Lecture Notes - Lecture 17: Fast Mapping, Phonological Awareness, Deixis

68 views5 pages

Document Summary

13. 1 review of preschool language development: the period that typically includes 2 years before a child enters elementary school about. Including repeated/elaborated exposures to new words and using an active reading st(cid:455)le i(cid:373)p(cid:396)o(cid:448)e (cid:272)hild(cid:396)e(cid:374)"s (cid:449)o(cid:396)d-lea(cid:396)(cid:374)i(cid:374)g (cid:373)o(cid:396)e tha(cid:374) (cid:396)eadi(cid:374)gs that do(cid:374)"t ha(cid:448)e these: expanding on the meaning of the word, active/engaged reading style. Lexicon: relational terms: relational terms are words whose meaning depends on a relationship. Interrogatives (question-answer relation: temporal (i. e. , timing) terms, opposites (like big-little, locational prepositions (in, on, kinship (i. e. , family) terms. Opposites: examples of opposites include big-little, heavy-light, tall-short, etc, preschoolers learn opposites that they can perceive physically (such as big-small) before they can learn abstract opposites (same-different) Kinship terms: kindship terms refer to family relations. Individual differences: the rate of progress in language development within a child and across children is not uniform, substantial differences can occur between children, a child can experience spurts and plateaus in development of language abilities.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers