Communication
Course
COM 100
Professor
W.Donohue
Semester
Summer

Description
Human Communications August 29, 2012 1. Introduction a) Course goal: To help you act more strategically about communication choices b) Disconnection between Goal and Message – i. Failed Marriage Proposal; why the disconnect? c) Two parts to this class – i. Part 1: Lectures – Learning principles ii. Part 2: Recitations – Practicing principles d) Assignment Review – i. Midterm and Final = 100 points ii. 4 speeches = 200 points iii. Written assignments iv. 800 points total 2. Message Goal: Connection a) Definition: i. Impacting each other’s’ attitudes, values and behaviors by message exchange. ii. Sense b) Purpose – i. To use messages to accomplish personal, group, or social goals. I want you to learn, laugh, reply. ii. To grow your relationships with people you care about. 3. Card Talk a) Talk cards: i. A set of messages associated with a role. Each time we communicate we play a role in the situation => friend, roommate, spouse, mom, etc. ii. We switch back and forth between the cards we are capable of playing. iii. Each card message play consists of – 1) Content or topics: Subject matter of the message 2) Style: a. Friendliness b. Formality c. Power 3) It’s the whole message package consisting of both verbal and nonverbal elements. b) Talk Games: i. The goal the message seeks to accomplish. ii. Examples: Flirt, teach, pray, decide, coordinate, entertain iii. Sometimes you don’t know what game people are playing. c) Card Decks: i. Set of cards available to play a game. ii. Personal deck: Friends and Family iii. Professional deck: Work-related games d) Card Hand: i. Cards we have in
More Less

Related notes for COM 100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit