Communication
Course
COM 100
Professor
W.Donohue
Semester
Fall

Description
Human Communications September 10, 2012 Language and Card Play – A Message’s Raw Material 1. Language a) Language: The raw material we use to create talk cards to share ideas and ultimately build civilization. b) Definition: i. A system of symbols ii. Used to map reality iii. The combine to form a message iv. Example: Use of the word “Crusade” to describe our response to terrorism. v. Language Card Game: The Ethnic Proof Game 1) How do you “prove” you belong to an ethnic group of some kind? What’s on an Ethnic Card? 2. Language Features a) Characteristics of symbols for the Hip Hop Ethnic Card: i. Semantics => A system of meaning: dog, dawg, dogg – friend, buddy ii. Syntax => How symbols interact: Punctuating and ordering sentence strings. 1) Example: Why you gotta do me like that? – Why are you/they treating me this way? iii. Pragmatics => The job we want symbols to do: To diss, disrespect. iv. Lexicon => Dictionary of words you might us in a certain situation – (culturally determined): Dimepiece or attractive woman. v. Phonology => The sound system of how the mouth produces sound: Examples of sounds? vi. Morphology => The rules of how words go together: Dawg is to dawgs as baller is to _____ (Ballin’, or acting like a boss) b) For example, consider these words on a billboard: STOP CLUBBING BABY SEALS! i. Semantically: Each word carries a unique meaning, but the context is needed for interpretation. ii. Syntactically: It is punctuated as a directive sentence. iii. Pragmatically: It is a plea to save the seals. iv. Lexicon: Culturally identifiable as a standard English Phrase v. Morphology: Sees words as connected and allows for the interpretation as a humanitarian place. STOP CLUBBING, BABY SEALS => chunking changes pragmatic idea c) Pragmatics = Job the Talk Cards (e.g., Hot Guy Card and a Culture Card) are meant to accomplish. i. Task: Purpose/goal of the message – Pick up ii. Relational Style: 1) Personal distance: liking – be friendly 2) Social distance: formality/informality – very informal 3) Role distance: power – high power or low power d) Linguistic Strategy: i. Linguistic form: question, assertion, topic shift ii. Linguistic rules: permissible topics and styles e) Examples: Pick up videos – Fresh Prince of Bel Air 3. Language Functions a) Decoding or Interpreting Cards: i. Develop categories from experience 1) What cards does the other usually play? 2) What card do I typically play in return? 3) What topics and styles does the other usually present? 4) What games does the other usually play? ii. Apply categories to new sit
More Less

Related notes for COM 100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit